St. Paul Lutheran Church is a congregation in the West Virginia – Western Maryland Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. St. Paul was established in 1897 through the work of deeply committed members and pastors. Up until the 1960s St. Paul Lutheran Church sat at the corner of University Ave. and Hough St. In the 1960s the congregation moved to its present location at the intersection of Baldwin St. and Patteson Dr. On the original site of St. Paul, there now resides the Lutheran Campus Ministry at WVU.
Lutherans are a historic confessional body that is named for Martin Luther, the 16th-century reformer who sought to renew the Church in the pure proclamation of the gospel. The Reformation began in 1517, when Luther nailed ninety-five theses to the door of the castle church in Wittenberg. He was disputing the practice of selling indulgences, that is, where people could buy forgiveness. Luther, after a long struggle seeking the one true God, realized that scripture pointed to humans being made right in relationship to God by grace alone, not through any works. Justification, that is, being put in a right relationship to God, is the article of faith on which the church stands or falls. If the good news of God in Christ Jesus is ever proclaimed as being dependent on something we must do first, the church has failed in its witness to the grace given to us.
Our life as a Lutheran congregation is marked by several important characteristics that root us in the gospel. Click on each of the words below to learn more: